UFCW 8’s dedicated and well-trained office staff helps in a variety of ways:
• Assist in contract enforcement
• Provide and process membership applications
• Distribute and explain new-member packets
• Assist with filing grievances
• Assist with name, address and beneficiary changes
• Process withdrawals (when leaving industry temporarily or permanently)
• Explain the value of Union membership to new hires
• Provide general membership information
Health and Welfare Services
• Provide claim forms, medical information and information about dental, vision, counseling, legal and other member benefits
• Explain benefits and the enrollment process
• Assist with member, dependent or retiree inquiries regarding disability forms, continuing eligibility forms and general information
• Check member dependent eligibility
• Assist in medical open enrollment
• Assist with processing medical claims
• Sign and verify pension documents
• Assist in completing inquiry forms
• Assist in completing pension applications
• Provide retirement documents and benefit information
• Process initial pension checks
• Provide Retirees’ Club information
• Process death benefits
• Serve as a liaison for members and the pension office
As a member, you have the highly experienced professionals of UFCW 8-Golden State who are trained to help all members, wherever you work.
Your District Union Representatives
Keep Union Members Informed: Your District Union Reps are there to keep members informed of developments, including contract negotiations, changes in laws and regulations affecting the workplace, and events of interest to the Union family.
Answer Questions: Your District Union Reps can answer questions for you and other Union members on all matters concerning their contract, wages, benefits and rights on the job.
Enforce the Contract: When management fails to pay workers correctly and on time, or employers don’t respect the rules concerning work hours, job assignments, holidays, vacations, sick pay, etc.