Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
UFCW 8 Facebook page UFCW 8 YouTube Channel UFCW 8 Instagram Page @UFCW8 Twitter Page
Wild Fire Resource Guide
Updated On: Nov 06, 2017

NOTE: If you need assistance please fill out the form at

Your union can be a valuable tool when you need help. UFCW 8 has staff available who can assist you in learning about and accessing the resources and benefits that may be best suited to your needs. To contact our main office toll free dial (888) 834-4488.

This list is adapted from UNITEHERE! Local 2850's guide, thank you Local 2850!


General Information
Federal, State and Other Financial Aid - ADDITIONAL INFO ADDED 11/6/17
Emergency Resources

  Sonoma County
  Napa County
  Mendocino County
  Lake County
  Butte County
  Yuba County
  Nevada County
Post Disaster Resources
  Emergency Shelters
  Prescriptions & Medical Information
  Returning Home
  Tips for being careful
Legal Services
Lost Documents

GENERAL INFORMATION can keep you up-to-date with relevant information from your local public safety departments & schools. Go to or text 888777 with your zip code to get updates on evacuations and new shelters opening.

Connecting with Loved Ones

A Santa Rosa Public Information Line is open for those with questions: 707-543-4511.

Live Updates

KSRO radio:

Road and Traffic Info Updated at:

California Governor's Office of Emergency Services Resource Guide

October Wildfires Resources & Information -



Even those who are covered by homeowner, commercial and auto policies at the time of the disaster — are urged to apply online at or by phone at 800-621-3362.

Documents and Materials You Need to Apply

When you register for disaster assistance either online or by phone, you will need the following to complete your application.

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the location where the damage occurred (pre-disaster address)
  • Current mailing address
  • Current telephone number
  • Insurance information
  • Total household annual income
  • Routing and account number for your checking or savings account (this allows FEMA to directly transfer disaster assistance funds into your bank account).
  • A description of your disaster-caused damage and losses

FEMA - Individual Disaster Assistance

California State Board of Equalization

Property Tax Relief

People who own property damaged by this month's wildfires have one year to apply for tax relief, the Board of Equalization said Thursday in a news release.

For more information, go to the Board of Equalization's website for Disaster Relief Frequently Asked Question -

Surviving Aid to Victims of Emergency (SAVE) -

Through the SAVE Program, we partner with fire departments and their respective bargaining units across the state of California to provide immediate financial assistance to eligible victims of fire and disaster in the form of $100 gift cards.

Since firefighters are the first line of defense, they are the designated distributors of the cards. Firefighters will be distributing cards to victims of the North Bay fires via evacuation centers once they are able and have official verification of eligible victims.

Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP)


Food-specific financial aid for people whose income has been significantly impacted by disaster-related loss of work and/or increased expenses (clean-up, repairs, etc.). Apply through or call California’s hotline at 1-877-847-3663 (FOOD)

Utilities / Energy Assistance Program

Phone: 1-866-675-6623


Provides relief to low income households by providing financial assistance, paying up to four of the highest bills during the year.

Lifeline Telephone Assistance

Phone: 1-866-454-8387


Helps qualified low-income individuals pay the monthly cost of basic telephone service.

Student Loan Management

Phone: 1-800-4FED-AID


The above website has information on deferment or forbearance. A deferment or forbearance allows you to temporarily stop making your federal student loan payments or to temporarily reduce the amount you pay.

Social Security

On the web:

If you are 62 or older you may be eligible for Social Security benefits. If you begin collecting before age 65, your benefits will be reduced. The amount of benefits that you receive is based on your lifetime earnings.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

SSI is a federal program that pays monthly benefits to people who are 65 or older, or blind, or have a disability and who don’t own much or have a lot of income.  SSI isn’t just for adults.  Monthly benefits can go to disabled and blind children, too.  For information, call Social Security at the number listed above.

** NEW 10/25/17 ** The North Bay Fire Relief Fund

The Redwood Credit Union, Redwood Credit Union Community Fund and The Press Democrat, have partnered to create the North Bay Fire Relief Fund to focus on neighbors who are in greatest need. Neighbors who lost their homes can apply for an immediate $1,000 to assist with essentials such as rent, food, clothing and other personal necessities.

They are also investing an immediate $750,000 to provide every student in Lake, Sonoma, Mendocino and Napa Counties with a $250 gift card to replace school clothes and supplies.

It is very easy to apply for and receive direct assistance. They’re working with two great organizations – United Way of the Wine Country in Sonoma County and North Coast Opportunities in Mendocino and Lake Counties – that will immediately process applications.

Here's how to apply in Sonoma County:

Here's how to apply in Mendocino and Lake Counties:

  • They have partnered with North Coast Opportunities (NCO) for fund application and disbursements.
  • Applications are available at:
  • Return completed application to or to any NCO office (open M-F 9AM to 5PM):
    • Ukiah: 413 N State Street, Ukiah CA 95482
    • Lakeport: 850 Lakeport Blvd, Lakeport CA 95453
    • Clearlake: 14832 Lakeshore Drive, Clearlake CA 95422
  • The deadline to apply will be 30 days after the fire has been 100% contained by CalFire.

PLEASE NOTE: Redwood Credit Union is covering ALL administrative costs related to the fund administration and disbursement, so 100 percent of the donations to the fund are supporting fire victims. This includes any administrative costs of nonprofits that they've partnered with to provide direct service or fund disbursements to fire survivors.

Over 17,000 people have donated nearly $11 million to the North Bay Fire Relief Fund.

THANK YOU to the firefighters, law enforcement & National Guard risked their lives for our communities and we couldn't be more grateful for their tireless work and thank you to California State Senator Mike McGuire for providing the above information.

For additional information please visit

** NEW 10/25/17 ** From: Santa Rosa Firestorm Facebook Group

Following the devastating wild fires in Sonoma County, Habitat for Humanity is assisting displaced families with acquiring the household items they will need to make their temporary housing more of a home. For the next several weeks displaced families will be able to shop at the Habitat ReStore for FREE!

Habitat needs good quality, working items as donations for the ReStore, and these items will be made available to these needy families. They are looking for furniture, decorative items, dishes and silverware, cookware, appliances and tools. (Habitat does not accept clothing.)

These items can be brought to the ReStore at 1201 Piner Road #500 in Santa Rosa.

Contact them directly with any questions!

** NEW 11/6/17 ** FREE Mattress Set from

If you or your family lost your home to the recent fires in Northern California, Living Spaces wants to help you start putting your life back together. Living Spaces is offering fire victims a FREE EMILY MATTRESS SET in any size.

How to Get Your FREE Mattress Set

  •  All Northern California fire victims from Butte, Lake, Napa, Mendocino, Sonoma and Yuba counties who have an approved FEMA determination letter or insurance award letter are eligible to receive a free mattress set.
  •  Please bring a copy of your approved FEMA letter or insurance letter to a Living Spaces retail location no later than December 31, 2017.
  •  The mattress and foundation must be picked up at a Living Spaces retail location or distribution center by December 31, 2017.

Visit: for complete details.


Sonoma County Evacuation Centers:

Santa Rosa Fire Department Emergency Information:

Sonoma County Animal Services:  Anyone encountering animal-related issues can call 707-565-4406. This number will be available 24 hours a day 7 days a week until further notice. Please be prepared to share information about the number of animals, type of animals, numerical address and location for the animals, and any information about the families associated with the animals, if known.

Napa County Emergency Shelters:

The Napa County Animal Shelter at 942 Hartle Court is taking in cats, dogs, and other animals. The shelter is seeking volunteers (those interested should call 707-253-4382), but is asking the public to only bring in animals who need emergency help.

** NEW Added 10-18-17 ** Napa Local Assistance Center - Article:

Napa County Health and Human Services Building A, Conference Center,
2751 Napa Valley Corporate Drive, Napa.
Phone: 707-299-2190.

Real time updates of the incident will continue to be made on the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page ( and Twitter feed (

Mendocino County Animal Shelter: There are many Found Pets at the Mendocino County Animal Shelter in Ukiah (298 Plant Road, Ukiah, California.  You can call 707-463-4427, however VISUAL IDENTIFICATION is a MUST. The shelter is open 10-4:30 Tuesday-Saturday, and 6:30 on Wednesdays.

** NEW Added 10-18-17 **  Redwood Fire Local Assistance Center (PDF) - Opening TUESDAY, October 17, 2017. This is a multi-agency support center providing assistance to residents affected by the Redwood fire.

Location: Mendocino College (Building 6220)
1000 Hensley Creek Road
Ukiah, CA 95482
Hours: 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM

Due to space constraints, donated goods will not be located on-site, and cannot be accepted.

For more information visit or call (707) 467-6428

Real time updates can be found at:

Lake County Animal Care & Control: Evacuated residents that need assistance with pets can call Lake County Animal Care and Control (707) 263-0278. An animal evacuation location has been set-up at the Lake County Animal Care and Control at 4949 Helbush Drive, in Lakeport.


Yuba County evacuation information:

Yuba County Animal Care Services: If you are missing pet animals, please check That website is updated hourly and will be updated as soon as animals start coming in.

Butte County Fire Emergency Information:
Butte County -North Valley Animal Disaster Group: (530) 895-0000

Nevada County Evacuation Information:

An emergency animal shelter is located at the Nevada County Fairgrounds.


CHECKLIST - Click the image below for a printable "Post Disaster Checklist"


To get up-to-date information on evacuations, shelters and road closures, text your zip code to 888777.

Santa Rosa Public Information Line is open for those with questions: 707-543-4511.

You can request a list of open shelters by calling the American Red Cross:



Feeding California


Connections to local food banks provided by phone or online.

Redwood Empire Food Bank
Phone: 707-523-7900


Open Pharmacies

The National Council of Prescription Drug Programs offers an online map of pharmacies that are open in your area at

Free Medical Advice

If you have health coverage through Kaiser Permanente, call the nurse advice line at:

800-464-4000 or TTY 711

800-788-0616 (Spanish)

800-757-7585 (Chinese dialects)

If you have health coverage through Anthem Blue Cross, call the nurse advice line at:


TTY 1-800-368-4424

Disaster Distress line: 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746

Access to Insulin

Eli Lilly: 1-800-Lilly-RX

Refilling Lost Prescriptions

If you have lost or run out of your medication and you can't reach your doctor or get to your usual pharmacy, try to find as many of the following things as you can:

Your empty pill bottle(s) with labels
Your prescription card
A phone number for your regular pharmacy
A phone number for your insurance company's pharmacy help desk
What to expect you get to the pharmacy:

Don't worry if your next scheduled refill isn't for a while. The pharmacy & your insurance company should be prepared to override the normal refill schedule.

You can get an emergency supply even if you don't have a refill and the pharmacy can't reach the person who prescribed your medication. If missing your medication would have a serious impact on your health, the pharmacy is allowed to give you a 72 hour emergency supply. In a disaster, they can give you as much as 30-days' worth.

If your prescription is for a controlled substance, you will need your doctor to fax or e-fax a new prescription for you. If you can't reach your doctor, you will have to consult another prescriber, who may give you a temporary prescription for alternative medication that isn't a controlled substance.

If possible, go to a branch of your usual pharmacy chain. Sometimes, prescriptions may not be electronically transferred between pharmacies that aren't part of the same chain. If your original pharmacy is closed, a pharmacy from a different chain may have a harder time getting your prescription transferred over.

Help Paying for Prescriptions

Working with your doctor: Explain your situation to the doctor and ask for his or her help finding the most affordable and accessible alternatives to meet your prescription needs, including access to samples, different generics, mail-order options or longer prescriptions (90 day supplies instead of 30). You can also ask at your pharmacy about ways to reduce costs.

The following programs may be able to assist you in obtaining low cost or discounted medications:

Partnership for Prescription Assistance

Phone: 1-888-477-2669


Helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage get the medicines they need through the program that is right for them. Many will get their medications free or nearly free.

Website also has a list of free or low-cost clinics in your area.



A community partner of United Way, Familywize offers discounts on many common prescription drugs. Website allows you to look up drug prices and request more information on the program:

RX Assist


Online database of prescription discount programs and other patient resources.


Coming back to a home that’s gone through a fire can be heartbreaking and overwhelming. It can also be hazardous to your health. Here’s some advice from other wildfire survivors:

  • If you’ve been away from your home for an extended period of time, do not enter without sturdy shoes (work boots or rubber boots if you have them), gloves and a face mask that’s rated at least an “N95” (it will say this on the package).
  • If you haven’t recently had a tetanus shot, get one as soon as possible, especially if you plan to do any cleaning or construction yourself.
  • There’s a good chance you won’t have access to clean running water. Bring lots of bottled water with you. You’ll need it.
  • Check your insurance guidelines very carefully before doing anything. If you have no choice to wait, then the next step goes DOUBLE.
  • Take a LOT of picture of EVERYTHING. Before you remove anything or start cleaning or making repairs, take pictures of the damage. Take pictures of everything you take out of the house- furniture, appliances, carpets, sheetrock, anything. Be sure to take pictures of the water mark. Use a tape measure to show how high it was. Do this INSIDE & OUTSIDE.
  • If your outlets were under water do not turn on your breakers if you have power.
  • Keep receipts of anything you use for cleaning, repair, or removal.
  • If your home lost power, don’t bother opening fridges or deep freezers. Duct tape the doors closed and as carefully as possible, get them to the curb.
  • If you are doing major repairs and are taking out walls, leave at least one wall per room. You must also leave at least one section of carpet or flooring in place. Some insurers will require seeing it and taking their own pictures.

Cleaning Your Home

  • Wear a NIOSH certified-respirator (dust mask) and wet debris down to minimize breathing dust particles.
  • Discard any food that has been exposed to heat, smoke or soot.
  • Do NOT use water that you think may be contaminated to wash dishes, brush teeth, prepare food, wash hands, or to make ice or baby formula.
  • Photograph damage to your property for insurance purposes.

Your Car

  • Remember to take LOTS of pictures!
  • If your car’s been towed you can search for it online using your license plate or VIN number at:


More Health & Safety Info

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has resources available online for people dealing with mold, contaminated water, and other wildfire-related hazards. They can be downloaded at:


Many hazards follow in the wake of a disaster like this one. Here are some you can take steps to avoid:

House Fire

  • Use flashlights or battery-powered lanterns instead of candles.
  • For several hours after the fire, maintain a “fire watch.” Check and re-check for smoke, sparks or hidden embers throughout the house, including the roof and the attic.
  • Use caution when entering burned areas as hazards may still exist, including hot spots, which can flare up without warning. Evacuate immediately if you smell smoke.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Use portable generators, charcoal grills and camp stove outside the house and garage and at least 20 feet from windows, doors and vents.


  • Stay away from ALL downed wires and whatever they are touching.
  • Avoid standing water that covers electrical outlets or is in contact with electrical equipment
  • Use only undamaged, OUTDOOR electrical cables with portable generators
  • Don’t operate electrical appliances and equipment that are in water or have been under water. Have a qualified technician clear them for use first.

Gas Explosion

  • If you smell or hear gas leaking, don’t turn lights on or off, or use electrical equipment, including a phone. LEAVE IMMEDIATELY, then call 911!
  • Before you use a gas appliance or gas cylinder, have a professional check for damage or leaks.

Building Collapse

  • Leave your home or another building right away if you hear shifting or unusual noises. Strange noises could mean it’s about to fall.


There are a number of ways to reach qualified lawyers who will provide free legal advice on how to manage your insurance claim, landlord/tenant issues, immigration-related concerns, and a range of other disaster-related legal questions you might have.

Volunteer lawyers are also visiting shelters to offer free assistance to people affected by the fires. It may be worth checking with shelters in your area to find help.

Legal Aid of Sonoma County

provides free legal assistance to low-income people.  They can be reached at (707) 843-4432 or at

Legal Services of Northern California

LSNC provides free legal assistance to low-income people. Their Chico office serves Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Plumas and Tehama counties, and can be reached at:

Voice: (530) 345-9491

Toll Free: (800) 345-9491

The Vallejo office serves Solano county and can be reached at:

Voice: (707) 643-0054

Fax: (707) 643-0144

The Sacramento office serves Sacramento county and can be reached at: (916) 551-2150


If you missed days of work without pay, lost your job or if your hours have been reduced because of the disaster, you may apply for Unemployment Insurance Benefits.

Even if you’ve already exhausted your state unemployment benefits or if you don’t have the past earnings or length of employment to qualify for regular benefits, you may be eligible for special Disaster Unemployment Assistance.

You can apply for benefits or re-open your existing claim by contacting:

California Unemployment

Phone: 1-800-939-6631


The Unemployment Insurance (UI) program pays benefits to workers who have lost their job and meet the program’s eligibility requirements. If you have become unemployed, you may file a UI claim. You may be eligible for UI benefits if you meet all eligibility requirements. After you have filed a claim, you must continue to certify for benefits and meet eligibility requirements in order for the EDD to pay you benefits. Use the information below to access unemployment related services and information.

Information on the process can be found in multiple languages via this website:

The amount that you receive varies according to your previous earnings and/or the number of hours you work.

Whether you choose to file your claim by telephone or on the web you must be ready to present the following information:

  1. Your name (including all names you used while working)
  2. Social Security number.
  3. Your mailing and residence address (including ZIP code) and phone number (including area code).
  4. Your state issued driver’s license or ID card number, if you have either.
  5. The last date you worked for any employer. If you are working part-time be sure to tell us you are still working, give us the number of hours you are working each week, and tell us the last day you worked prior to filing a UI claim.
  6. Last employer information, including: name, address (mailing and physical location) and phone number. We will also need the ZIP code for both addresses (mailing and physical location) and the area code for your last employer’s phone number. Be specific about the spelling of the employer’s name and make sure the address is correct because we are required to mail a notice to that employer. An incorrect address will delay benefit payments.
  7. Information on all employers you worked for during the 18 months prior to filing your claim, including: name, period of employment, wages earned and how you were paid.
  8. The name of the employer you worked for the longest within the last year and a half; and the number of years you worked for that employer. This may or may not be the same as your last employer.
  9. The reason you are no longer working for your last employer. You may have quit, been laid off, fired, or left work because of a trade dispute. Be specific about the reason you are not working because the information you give to us must be sent to your last employer. If you quit, were fired, or left work because of a trade dispute, you will be scheduled to a future telephone interview. The information we obtain during the interview will help us decide if you are eligible to receive benefits.
  10. Whether you are receiving, or expect to receive any payments from a former employer. We ask about this because some types of payments may be deducted from your benefits. A few examples of payments that may be deducted include wages, pension payments, holiday pay, and vacation or sick pay. Severance pay is not deducted from unemployment insurance benefits and does not affect your eligibility to receive benefits. However, you must report severance pay at the time you file your unemployment insurance claim.
  11. Whether you are able to work and available to accept work.
  12. Whether you have a legal right to work in the United States. If applicable, individuals will be asked for their alien registration number. A comprehensive list of acceptable identity and authorization to work documents is available through United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.


If you’ve lost any of your important documents, the process of replacing them can be slow and frustrating. You’ll need some of these documents just to get some of the other ones. Make a list of what you have and what you need, what the requirements are to get each one and what order you’ll need to get them in.

California Driver License:

Social Security Card:
Phone: 800-772-1213

You will need a government-issued photo ID

Green Cards:
Phone: 800-375-5283

Phone: 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793)


Birth and death certificates:


For replacement:

Visit the California Department of Public Health (CDHP) website.

In order to obtain a copy of your birth certificate you need to apply through the CDHP. Start by going to the website and click on the “Birth, Death, & Marriage Certificates” link on the upper left of the CDHP home page, under Most Popular Links.[1]

Medicare Cards:
Phone: 800-772-1213

Vehicle Titles:
Phone: 888-368-4689

Insurance Documents:
Phone: Check with your own insurance agent
Website: //

Real Estate and Property Records (Mortgage Documents, Deeds, etc.):
Phone: Contact your own agent
Website: Lost Property Deed – Replacement Procedure


In most cases, members will continue their health coverage without interruption. If you do not meet the minimum number of hours, you may eventually lose coverage. Even so, you will still have options.

Affordable Care Act

People who lose their employer-based health insurance are eligible to apply for free care through Medi-Cal and reduced-cost health insurance plans offered through Covered California. You can apply online for both at as soon as you lose coverage.


The Federal COBRA law requires that most employers offer you and your family a temporary extension of health coverage at group rates, called "continuation coverage". Depending on the circumstances of your job departure, you, your spouse and dependent children may be eligible for coverage for a minimum of 18 months with a possible extension to 36 months in certain circumstances. You may be required to pay the full premium, including your employer's contribution. Contact the UFCW Trust (UEBT) at (800) 552-2400 regarding COBRA coverage option.


Medicare is a federally funded medical insurance program administered by the Social Security Administration. You are eligible for Medicare hospital insurance if you:

  • Are 65 and receive Social Security or railroad retirement benefits
  • Have received Social security disability benefits for 24 months

For more information about these requirements and other features of the Medicare program, call: 800-633-4227 (TTY 877-486-2048) or visit

Remember: Your family doctor or local hospital does not want to see you ignore health problems. If you have lost your health coverage, speak to your doctor about the possibility of negotiating reduced fees and payment schedules.

UFCW 8-Golden State
Copyright © 2018, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

UFCW 8-Golden State Terms and Conditions of Use

Top of Page image